Skip to main content

Overseas Students: Cost of Living

Question for Department for Education

UIN 191217, tabled on 26 June 2023

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what support her Department is providing to international students to meet the increased cost of living.

Answered on

3 July 2023

As set out in the Government's International Education Strategy, the department is committed to working with the higher education (HE) sector to enhance the international student experience to ensure they have an enjoyable and valuable experience whilst in the UK. The International Education Strategy can be accessed at:

In addition, universities provide a range of dedicated support to their international students pre-arrival, on-arrival and during their studies.

As set out in Home Office guidance, international students who come to the UK on a student visa are required to have money to support themselves for the duration of their studies. Further information on student visa requirements can be found at: Eligible international students can also access providers’ hardship funds, should they need to do so.

Generally, to qualify for HE student support from Student Finance England, a person resident in England must have settled status or a recognised connection to the UK. This includes persons who are covered by the European Union Withdrawal Agreement, have long residence in the UK or who have been granted international protection by the Home Office. There are also requirements associated with ordinary residence in the UK.