Skip to main content

Overseas Students: Visas

Question for Department for Education

UIN 185082, tabled on 15 May 2023

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, whether her Department has made an assessment of the adequacy of the support available to families moving to the UK on a student visa.

Answered on

22 May 2023

As set out in the government's International Education Strategy and subsequent updates, the department is committed to working with the higher education sector to enhance the international student experience, and to ensure they have an enjoyable and valuable experience whilst in the UK. Details of the strategy are available at:

This includes working closely with organisations such as the UK Council for International Student Affairs, who offer a range of information and guidance for those travelling on a student visa. This information is available at:

In addition, universities provide a range of dedicated support to their international students at pre-arrival, on-arrival and during their studies. This includes welcoming services, transitional support and visa advice.

As set out in Home Office guidance, international students and their families who come to the UK on a student visa are required to have money to support themselves for the duration of their studies. The guidance is available at: Generally, to qualify for student support from Student Finance England, a person resident in England must have settled status or a recognised connection to the UK. This includes persons who are covered by the EU Withdrawal Agreement, have long residence in this country or who have been granted international protection by the Home Office. There are also requirements associated with ordinary residence in the UK.