Skip to main content

Hong Kong: Political Prisoners

Question for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office

UIN 157477, tabled on 21 April 2022

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs, what steps she is taking to support political prisoners in Hong Kong who have British citizenship.

Answered on

26 April 2022

We do not comment on individual cases. However the support we can, and cannot, provide to British nationals abroad is set out in Support for British nationals abroad: A guide, available on GOV.UK ( The help we can provide to dual nationals will depend on the circumstances and the country of the other nationality agreeing to it.

We continue to make clear to mainland Chinese and Hong Kong authorities our strong opposition to the National Security Law, which is being used to curtail freedoms, punish dissent and shrink the space for opposition, free press and civil society. As a co-signatory to the Joint Declaration, we will continue to stand up for the people of Hong Kong, to call out the violation of their rights and freedoms, and to hold China to their international obligations.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.