To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what steps his Department is taking to help develop open online tests and skills training that enables people to demonstrate they have the right skills needed to join the UK full-fibre workforce.
17 March 2022
Through the National Careers Service, we already have the online ‘Skills Health Check’, which enables people to explore the skills they have.
The department also funds a wide range of digital education and training provision, which will support people in a range of digital careers including fibre and broadband roles. This includes:
- A digital entitlement for adults with no or low digital skills to undertake new improved digital qualifications, up to Level 1, free of charge.
- New Essential Digital Skills qualifications at entry level and level 1 and reforms to digital Functional Skills Qualifications, based on new national standards which set out the digital skills people need to get on in life and work.
- A range of high-quality apprenticeships in the digital sector including the Level 4 Network Engineer and the Level 6 Data Scientist apprenticeships.
- Skills Bootcamps in a range of skills areas, including technical skills such as engineering and broadband installation.
- A number of digital qualifications included in the Free Courses for Jobs offer.
- Specific Digital T Levels that support progression to digital occupations and relevant digital skills built into every T Level qualification.