Skip to main content

Ukraine: Refugees

Question for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office

UIN 132165, tabled on 1 March 2022

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs, what steps her Department is taking to facilitate the delivery of aid from those in Britain who wish to take (a) food, (b) medicine and (c) other supplies to people who have fled from Ukraine.

Answered on

7 March 2022

The UK Government advises people to donate cash through trusted charities and humanitarian partners, rather than donating goods. Unsolicited donations, although well-meaning, can obstruct supply chains and delay more urgent support from getting through. Trusted humanitarian partners are working with the Government of Ukraine and countries in the region to assess needs and delivering the assistance most required to meet those needs. It is usually more efficient for aid organisations to procure items that are required themselves, and locally, than to process, store, and distribute donated goods.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.