Skip to main content

Visas: Overseas Students

Question for Home Office

UIN 111598, tabled on 25 January 2022

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what assessment she has made of the impact of requiring Tier 5 visas for EU students in the UK on the ability of those students to (a) study and (b) work in the UK.

Answered on

1 February 2022

The Temporary Work – Government Authorised Exchange visa provides individuals with the opportunity to complete training, a work experience placement, English language course or conduct research for a period of up to two years. It is not a route focussing on study and does not replace the existing provisions under the student route.

The new Student route was launched in October 2020. The Student route streamlines and simplifies the previous Tier 4 route, making it simpler for international students to apply to study in the UK, and significantly improves on our offer in the global marketplace.

A full impact assessment for the Student route was published on 10 September 2020 and can be found on at:

Under the Standard Visitor route visitors may study for up to 6 months, provided the course is provided by an accredited institution. Visitors may also learn about and undertake research as part of a course they are studying overseas, and if they are studying medicine, veterinary medicine and science, nursing or dentistry they can undertake electives relevant to their course.

The Government is committed to ensuring the UK continues to be an attractive destination for individuals to study and work.

Answered by

Home Office