Skip to main content

Continuing Care: Fees and Charges

Question for Department of Health and Social Care

UIN 94536, tabled on 16 December 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, whether the care fees that NHS Continuing Health Care would ordinarily pay to a care provider can instead be paid to a family carer if they are unable to find CHC registered carers who can meet the care needs of the person requiring care.

Answered on

5 January 2022

As set out in the in National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care, clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) should operate a person-centred approach to all aspects of NHS Continuing Healthcare. This can include delivering NHS Continuing Healthcare through a personal health budget, where appropriate.

A personal health budget supports a person’s health and wellbeing needs planned and agreed with them or their representative and the local National Health Service team. A budget can be used to pay an individual living in the same household, a close family member or a friend if the CCG is satisfied that this is necessary to meet the continuing health care needs of the person for whom the personal health budget has been agreed. CCGs should make these judgements on a case-by-case basis.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.