Skip to main content

Ichthyosis: Medical Treatments

Question for Department of Health and Social Care

UIN 90870, tabled on 10 December 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps he is taking to ensure that people with the skin condition ichthyosis can access the cream Udrate to treat that condition via (a) GP prescription and (b) pharmacies nationwide.

Answered on

16 December 2021

No assessment has been made. General practitioners and clinician are responsible for working with patients to determine the appropriate course of treatment, with the provision of the most clinically appropriate care being the primary consideration. Clinicians are responsible for making prescribing decisions for their patients, taking into account best prescribing practice and the decision-making of their respective clinical commissioning groups.