Skip to main content

Migrants: Finance

Question for Home Office

UIN HL4141, tabled on 17 November 2021

To ask Her Majesty's Government what assessment they have made of the impact of the No Recourse to Public Funds policy for migrants on support for families, including with childcare costs.

Answered on

1 December 2021

To be granted leave to enter or remain in the UK, most temporary migrants must demonstrate they can maintain and support themselves and their families without recourse to public funds. There are, nonetheless, strong and important safeguards in place to ensure people subject to the NRPF condition can receive support. People with leave under the Family and Human Rights routes, and those who have been granted leave on the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) visa route as a British National (Overseas) status holder or a family member of a British National (Overseas) status holder can apply, for free, to have their NRPF condition lifted by making a ‘change of conditions’ application. They can apply if they are destitute or at risk of destitution, if the welfare of their child is at risk due to their low income, or where there are other exceptional financial circumstances. Local authorities are required to provide financial support and/or accommodation through section 17 of the Children Act 1989, where a child is in need, regardless of their immigration status or that of their parents. Government support for families is generally led by the Department for Work and Pensions, HMRC, and the Department for Education, and they may have conducted further assessment of the impacts of the NRPF policy.

Answered by

Home Office