Skip to main content

Rivers: Safety

Question for Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

UIN 75927, tabled on 16 November 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what funding is available to support (a) equipment to improve river safety and (b) organisations who provide support for river safety.

Answered on

24 November 2021

Responsibility and funding for provision of water safety equipment on regulated inland waterways can be provided by the relevant navigation authority or riparian landowner, often working with local authorities in local water safety partnerships and other safety organisations such as the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, the Royal Life Saving Society, and the National Water Safety Forum. On unregulated inland waterways, the responsibility for provision of water safety equipment rests with the riparian landowners or land managers concerned, or local authorities typically in larger urban areas.