Skip to main content

Councillors: Political Parties

Question for Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities

UIN 71491, tabled on 8 November 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, what guidance or advice his Department has provided to local authorities on whether councillors who have been suspended by a national political party should be considered to remain members of that party’s political group on a local authority for the purposes of allocating seats on committees.

Answered on

19 November 2021

The allocation of committee seats should be reviewed by a local authority annually, or upon request following a by-election or where a councillor joins a new political group. It is for the political groups on a local authority to determine their own membership as they see fit.