Skip to main content

Social Services: Fees and Charges

Question for Department of Health and Social Care

UIN 69198, tabled on 3 November 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps he is taking to ensure that the Adult Social Care Charging Policy guidance issued by his Department to local authorities includes details on how universal credit should be assessed when setting the level of the minimum income guarantee.

Answered on

11 November 2021

Local authorities must follow the Care and Support (Charging and Assessment of Resources) Regulations 2014 and have regard to the Care and Support Statutory Guidance when undertaking financial assessments to determine what someone should pay towards care costs. The guidance states that income from Universal Credit is considered as part of that financial assessment which will determine how much a person can contribute towards their care. They must be left with a weekly minimum income guarantee amount in line with what is detailed in the regulations.

To allow people receiving means-tested support to keep more of their own income, the Government will unfreeze the Minimum Income Guarantee for those receiving care in their own homes and Personal Expenses Allowance for care home residents, so that from April 2022 they will both rise in line with inflation.