Skip to main content

NHS: Sexual Offences

Question for Department of Health and Social Care

UIN 69196, tabled on 3 November 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what assessment he has made of the adequacy of complaint and support information provided to patients who report sexual misconduct by NHS staff or staff of organisations delivering NHS services.

Answered on

9 November 2021

There are arrangements in place for patients to make a complaint about any aspect of the care, treatment or service they have received from the National Health Service. This is set out in the NHS Constitution and the Local Authority Social Services and National Health Service Complaints (England) Regulations 2009. Healthcare regulators are responsible for investigating concerns that are raised with them about regulated healthcare professionals.

If complainants need assistance, they can approach the Patient Advice and Liaison Service, which is available in most hospitals. Additionally, assistance can be provided by the independent NHS complaints advocacy service, which supports people who wish to make a complaint about their NHS care or treatment. There is also support in place for staff who wish to raise concerns about anything, including raising the issue with their Local Freedom to Speak Up Guardian, or contacting the Speak Up Direct service, which provides independent, confidential advice on speaking up matters.