Skip to main content

Housing: Construction

Question for Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities

UIN 54019, tabled on 23 September 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, what powers local authorities have to ensure that housing permissions are built-out by developers and not left to lapse.

Answered on

20 October 2021

The Government is clear that new homes should be built out as soon as possible once planning permission is granted. Where build-out is delayed, it is for councils and developers to work closely together to overcome any barriers.

Local authorities can issue completion notices or use compulsory purchase powers to ensure planning permissions are built-out promptly. Completion notices allow council's to withdraw a permission where they feel it will not be completed within a reasonable time. Compulsory purchase powers allow local authorities to acquire land, including for the delivery of new housing, where there is a compelling case in the public interest to do so. Both measures are intended as a last resort. This issue has been raised in debates on the Planning for the Future White Paper, and an announcement on next steps will be made in due course.