Skip to main content

Students: Loans

Question for Department for Education

UIN 48380, tabled on 13 September 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what assessment he has made of the potential merits of increasing the discretion of the Students Loans Company to offer loans to UK nationals who do not meet residency requirements as a result of circumstances outside their control.

Answered on

21 September 2021

Generally, to be eligible for student support a student must be resident in England and have ‘settled’ status or a recognised connection with the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course and must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands (Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) for the 3 years prior to that date.

To be ordinarily resident in the UK a person must be here lawfully in the UK throughout the required period. It would not be practical or desirable for Student Finance England to have to make individual decisions about why a particular individual may not be here lawfully. We will continue to be guided by Home Office grants of leave to remain in assessing eligibility for student finance.