Skip to main content

Events Industry

Question for Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport

UIN 48236, tabled on 13 September 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, what steps he is taking to support venue and music organisations in booking international artists to perform in the UK.

Answered on

24 September 2021

The government recognises the world-leading position of the UK music sector and the rich breadth of musical talent across the UK. We also appreciate venues and music organisations’ desire to book international artists to further contribute to the diversity and richness of the UK’s cultural offering.

Creative and cultural professionals from non-visa national countries, such as EU Member States and the US, can come to the UK for up to one month without requiring a visa if they are paid by a UK source, or for up to three months without requiring a visa if they are sponsored by a registered tour sponsor. They will not require a visa if they are performing at a “Permit Free Festival”, which includes a range of events from Glastonbury to the London Jazz Festival. If they are not receiving payment from a UK source, EU artists can come to the UK and undertake a range of activities related to their profession, including performances, for up to 6 months visa-free. The UK does not have work permits.

We are looking at further options to help support touring, including proposals for a Cultural Export Office that could provide practical help for those looking to tour and export worldwide.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.