Skip to main content

Overseas Students: Hong Kong

Question for Department for Education

UIN HL1889, tabled on 12 July 2021

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether they will give students from Hong Kong domestic fee status at universities in England.

Answered on

23 July 2021

To qualify for home fee status in England, a person must have settled status or a recognised connection to the UK. This includes people who are covered by the EU Withdrawal Agreement, who have long residence in this country, or who have been granted international protection by the Home Office. There are also requirements associated with ordinary residence in the UK. Subject to meeting the normal eligibility requirements, people with Hong Kong British National (Overseas) status will be able to qualify for home fees once they have acquired settled status in the UK.