Skip to main content

Visas: Boarding Schools

Question for Home Office

UIN HL1707, tabled on 5 July 2021

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether students from the EU are required to apply for visas in order to enrol in boarding schools in Northern Ireland.

Answered on

19 July 2021

Since freedom of movement ended on 31 December 2020, EEA nationals travelling to the UK for the first time to enrol on a course of 6 months or longer at an independent school in the UK, including those with boarding facilities in Northern Ireland, are required to apply for a visa under the Student or Child Student routes.

Irish citizens in the UK have the right to reside, work, study, and access healthcare, social security and public services without requiring permission.

Answered by

Home Office