Skip to main content

Tourette's Syndrome

Question for Department of Health and Social Care

UIN 14171, tabled on 11 June 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps his Department is taking to invest in specialist Tourette’s syndrome services and care across (a) St Helens Clinical Commissioning Group area, (b) the North West region and (c) England.

This answer is the replacement for a previous holding answer.

Answered on

29 June 2021

The majority of services for people with Tourette’s syndrome are commissioned locally by clinical commissioning groups (CCGs), through local community paediatric services or child and adolescent mental health services, with the pathways varying across the country. These services will be appropriate for the majority of children and young people with Tourette’s syndrome.

For those requiring specialist support, there are specialised tertiary services across the country with focused multidisciplinary teams assessing and supporting children with tics, Tourette’s syndrome and motor stereotypies and their families. The potential commissioning of a local tertiary service for tics and Tourette’s is under review by CCGs across the North West and NHS England and NHS Improvement.

NHS St Helens CCG has tasked its local providers to review the needs of children and young people from St Helens who have been discharged from Alder Hey Children’s Hospital’s Tourette’s service in the preceding six months and has temporarily invested £30,000 to support this.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.