Skip to main content

Students: British National (Overseas)

Question for Department for Education

UIN 12974, tabled on 9 June 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what plans his Department has to support those arriving on the British National (Overseas) visa scheme to access student loans for higher and further education.

Answered on

17 June 2021

Most applications for university in the UK are submitted using UCAS and further information can be found on their website at: Some universities also accept applications directly. It is then for individual universities as to how to enrol students once they have been accepted onto a course.

To qualify for home fee status in England and student finance, a person must have settled status or a recognised connection to the UK. This includes persons who are covered by EU law, have long residence in this country or who have been granted international protection by the Home Office.

Currently, subject to meeting the normal eligibility requirements, Hong Kong British Nationals (Overseas) status holders will be able to qualify for home fee status and student finance once they have acquired settled status in the UK.