Skip to main content

Temporary Accommodation

Question for Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

UIN 10400, tabled on 4 June 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what steps his Department is taking to tackle out-of-area temporary accommodation.

Answered on

9 June 2021

While local authorities aim to secure permanent accommodation for families, time spent in temporary accommodation means people are getting help and ensures no family is without a roof over their head.

The legislation and guidance set out that in the first instance, local authorities should try to place individuals within their own area, and retain established links with schools, doctors, and other key services and support. However, when this is not possible, they should place the household as near as possible to the original local authority. Placing a household out of the local authority area should be as a last resort and authorities must consider the impact a change in location would have on a household.

If a local authority places a household into accommodation in another local area, they are required by law to notify the local authority of any placement, to ensure there is no disruption to schooling or employment for example.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.