Skip to main content

Local Housing Allowance: Supported Housing

Question for Department for Work and Pensions

UIN 528, tabled on 11 May 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, with reference to the announcement by his Department that people who have lived in a homeless hostel will be exempt from the shared accommodation rate, whether that exemption will include people living in supported accommodation.

Answered on

18 May 2021

The exemption is for those who have spent at least three months in a specialist hostel (or hostels) for homeless people, where the main purpose of that hostel is to provide accommodation, care, supervision or support, with a view to assisting homeless people to be rehabilitated or resettled in the community. Further, to be eligible for this exemption they would need to have been offered and accepted support services to enable them to be rehabilitated or resettled in the community during their time in the hostel.

Supported housing covers a broad range of accommodation types including sheltered housing for older people and long-term housing for people with care needs. However, short-term supported housing could meet the definition above if it is hostel accommodation and its main purpose is to support and re-habilitate or resettle homeless people into the community.