To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many officer cadets from the UK who entered training at Sandhurst were from ethnic minorities, in each year since 2010.
28 April 2021
The table below shows the Regular Army UK BAME intake to the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS) from 2010 – 30 Sept 2021, by financial year.
Number of Personnel from the UK
FY 20/21 up to 30 Sept
Source: Analysis (Army)
- The figures are for the UK Regular Army only and therefore exclude Gurkhas, Full Time Reserve Service, Mobilised Reserves, Army Reserve and all other Reserves, but includes those personnel that have transferred from GURTAM to UKTAP.
- Ethnicity has been extracted from the Joint Personnel Administration System.
- There are a number of people with unknown ethnicity, a proportion of who may be BAME.
- Figures above include those personnel who join the Pre-RMAS (PRMAS) and Leadership Development Course (LDC) schemes prior to starting RMAS. This means that the latest figures may differ slightly from those supplied in previous PQ answers which excluded the PRMAS and LDC elements.
- There were ~20 additional personnel whose primary nationality is not British.
- Figures have been rounded to 10 as a means of disclosure control to protect individuals; numbers ending in "5" have been rounded to the nearest multiple of 20 to prevent systematic bias.
- Totals and sub-totals have been rounded separately and so may not appear to be the sum of their parts.