Skip to main content

Airlines: UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement

Question for Department for Transport

UIN 175872, tabled on 25 March 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what assessment his Department has made of the barriers for UK airlines wishing to wet-lease within the EU since the introduction of the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement.

Answered on

13 April 2021

Under the Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA), UK airlines may operate using aircraft wet-leased from UK or EU wet lease providers. This helps to maximise the operational flexibility of UK airlines – for instance allowing them to address technical difficulties or short-term capacity constraints. In order to wet lease from UK wet lease providers, EU airlines must first satisfy their EU Member State’s competent authority that this is justified on the basis of exceptional needs, seasonal capacity needs or operational difficulties.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.