Skip to main content

Construction: Materials

Question for Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

UIN 169991, tabled on 16 March 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, whether the UKCA mark and its application for construction products or other materials applies to rings constructed for wrestling or boxing; and if he will make a statement.

Answered on

22 March 2021

In order for the UKCA mark to be applied to a construction product, the product must meet the definition of a construction product as set out by the United Kingdom Construction Products Regulations, and be covered by either a United Kingdom designated standard or United Kingdom Technical Assessment.

Wrestling and boxing rings in themselves do not meet this definition of construction products, and are covered by neither a United Kingdom designated standard, nor a United Kingdom Technical Assessment, under the United Kingdom Construction Products Regulations. They therefore do not need to be UKCA-marked in order to be placed on the market of Great Britain.

If the component parts of a wrestling or boxing ring have been marketed as individual products for use in construction, however, they will be subject to the same rules as construction products, which may include the requirement to apply the UKCA mark.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.