Skip to main content

Travel: Coronavirus

Question for Department for Transport

UIN 164471, tabled on 8 March 2021

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, with reference to the new form required to be completed by people travelling abroad from England, whether that form must be completed by non residents and/or foreign nationals; and whether migrating to another country is a permitted reason to travel abroad.

Answered on

11 March 2021

All people travelling from England outside the Common Travel Area, including foreign nationals, are required to complete a travel declaration form unless they are exempt. Details of exemptions can be found on ( Those under 18 and those that lack capacity are not required to have a travel declaration form. If travelling with a responsible adult, however, that responsible adult must complete a form on their behalf.

Under the current stay at home restrictions, people may only leave home or the place where they are living if they have a reasonable excuse. Moving house is a reasonable excuse for these purposes, so travelling abroad in order to move home is permitted and may be stated on the travel declaration form. Whether someone is in fact travelling for the purposes of moving home will be a matter of fact, which police may assess if questioning an individual.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.