Skip to main content

UK Internal Trade: Northern Ireland

Question for Treasury

UIN 134531, tabled on 8 January 2021

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer, whether removal companies require a Goods Movement Reference to transport personal effects from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

Answered on

13 January 2021

No customs charges are due on personal belongings when moving home to Northern Ireland from Great Britain. Removal companies will need to submit a customs declaration using the Customs Declaration Service (CDS). If they are new to customs processes, they can sign up for the free Trader Support Service which can complete declarations on their behalf without the need for specialist advice or software. They will also need to use the Goods Vehicle Movement Service and get a Goods Movement Reference to use the system.

Answered by

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.