Skip to main content

Motor Vehicles: Republic of Ireland

Question for Department for Transport

UIN 133281, tabled on 30 December 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, whether Northern Ireland residents will require a motor insurance green card to drive freely from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland and vice versa under the terms of the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement.

Answered on

11 January 2021

Motor insurance does not form part of the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement. We have urged the EU to issue an Implementing Decision confirming the UK’s participation in the Green Card-free circulation zone as a third country. Until the EU issues such a decision, our advice to all UK motorists taking their vehicle into any EU Member State is to carry a green card.

The Council of Bureaux has confirmed that all national bureaux have agreed to continue their mutual cooperation with the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau under the Multilateral Agreement, which guarantees that that Motor Insurers'

Bureaux will continue handling claims with MIB based on the system of 'deemed insurance cover' not requiring the existence of a Green Card, therefore at present a Green Card does not have to be carried to enter the UK.