Skip to main content

National Insurance

Question for Department for Work and Pensions

UIN 122696, tabled on 30 November 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what work restrictions apply to a person who does not have a national insurance number.

Answered on

3 December 2020

The Department for Work and Pensions is responsible for the allocation of National Insurance Numbers (NINos) to adults in the UK. The NINo is an administrative reference number, unique to each individual and used by both DWP and HMRC to link an individual to their National Insurance Contributions and record the payment of Social Security Benefits.

Possession of a National Insurance number does not demonstrate that an individual has a right to work in the UK, this is determined by Home Office legislation. A list of acceptable documents that enables an individual to demonstrate they have the right work is set out in the Employers Guide to Right to Work Checks.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.