Skip to main content

Buildings: Insulation

Question for Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

UIN 119228, tabled on 23 November 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, whether UK Finance has officially acknowledged that leaseholders of residential properties without external cladding do not need to provide an EWS1 form to finance, remortgage or sell their properties.

Answered on

1 December 2020

The EWS1 process is not a Government or regulatory requirement. Whether an EWS1 is needed is determined by lenders and the professionals valuing a building - not all lenders ask for an EWS1. The Department has come to an agreement with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) that flats in blocks without cladding do not need an EWS1 form. Government will continue to work with industry to support a more proportionate approach to valuations of flats.