Skip to main content

Coronavirus: Contact Tracing

Question for Department of Health and Social Care

UIN 106977, tabled on 21 October 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, whether the Government’s national Track and Trace system routinely instructs people who need to self-isolate to inform other members of their household to also self-isolate.

This answer is the replacement for a previous holding answer.

Answered on

4 December 2020

Where someone develops symptoms of COVID-19, both they and other household members should self-isolate immediately and should continue to self-isolate if they receive a positive test result. The NHS Test and Trace service asks people who have tested positive for COVID-19 to provide contact details for other members of their household so that they can be formally notified to self-isolate and, if eligible, can claim the Test and Trace Support Payment.

National Health Service Test and Trace has recently introduced changes to its processes so that, where a person who has tested positive confirms they have informed – or will inform – other family members of the requirement to self-isolate, the formal notifications to those other family members are issued by text or email rather than separate telephone calls.

Answered by

Department of Health and Social Care
Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.