Skip to main content

Health Services: Reciprocal Arrangements

Question for Department of Health and Social Care

UIN HL9216, tabled on 15 October 2020

To ask Her Majesty's Government, further to the Written Answers by Lord Bethell on 12 October (HL8659) and Lord True on 24 June (HL5754), which UK citizens will be entitled to a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card that remains valid for travel in the EU after 31 December.

Answered on

29 October 2020

From 1 January 2021, under the Withdrawal Agreement some groups will be entitled to a United Kingdom-issued European Health Insurance Card for travel in the European Union. These include:

- UK state pensioners living in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland at the end of the Transition Period;

- Individuals who are frontier workers at the end of the Transition Period, for as long as they continue to be covered by the Agreement; and

- EEA or Swiss nationals residing in the UK by the end of the Transition Period.

UK nationals already living in the EU who hold a member state EHIC may use this when accessing healthcare within the EU and UK.

For people not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, the future of reciprocal healthcare arrangements between the UK and EU are subject to negotiations, which are ongoing.