Skip to main content


Question for Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

UIN 100365, tabled on 7 October 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what support or guidance is available to leaseholders on their rights with regard to leases on residential properties.

Answered on

15 October 2020

Leaseholders can seek free initial advice via the Leasehold Advisory Service, the specialist body funded by the Department to provide assistance to leaseholders. Further information on the rights of leaseholders and other leasehold matters can be provided through the website (, via a telephone appointment with one of LEASE's advisers (020 7832 2500), or by email (

There are other specialist advisers who leaseholders might want to consult including:

  • Leasehold Knowledge Partnership (LKP) – an independent registered charity providing help for leaseholders on leasehold issues, including cladding. LKP also acts as secretariat to the All Party Parliamentary Group on Leasehold and Commonhold Reform.
  • Association of Leasehold Enfranchisement Practitioners (ALEP) – an association of professionals who specialise in lease extensions, freehold acquisitions and leasehold enfranchisement.
  • specialist legal firms

There are also a number of other organisations or groups who leaseholders may want to consult including: