Skip to main content

Housing: Insulation

Question for Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

UIN 97545, tabled on 30 September 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what steps he is taking to assist owners of commonhold properties in accessing flammability assessments and EWS1 certificates.

Answered on

8 October 2020

It is the responsibility of the building owner, whether freeholder or common holder, to ensure their building is safe. This includes ensuring that there is an up-to-date fire risk assessment. To support the valuation process for high-rise residential blocks, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors designed the EWS1 process. This is not a regulatory requirement and not all lenders require it. My department is urging a more pragmatic approach, especially for lower rise blocks.