Skip to main content

Immigration: Overseas Students

Question for Home Office

UIN 94555, tabled on 23 September 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, whether she plans to introduce a new immigration route to allow international students to enter the UK on a work or study-based placement of between six and 12 months from 1 January 2021.

Answered on

1 October 2020

As part of the new Student route, which launches on 5 October, international students will be able to undertake work placements as part of their course. To be able to undertake a work placement, the placement must be an integrated and assessed part of the course and must account for less than 33 percent of the total length of the course (or 50 percent if the student is undertaking a course at a Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance).

Students undertaking study at an Overseas Higher Education Institution can come to the UK on a Student visa to undertake a short-term study abroad programme as part of their course at degree level or above.

In addition, the Government Authorised Exchange Scheme provides individuals with opportunities to come to the UK for a short time for work experience, training, to complete an Overseas Government Language Programme, or for research or a fellowship.

Answered by

Home Office