Skip to main content

Hong Kong: Riot Control Weapons

Question for Foreign and Commonwealth Office

UIN 71192, tabled on 8 July 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what recent assessment he has made of whether (a) tear gas, (b) rubber bullets and (c) riot gear exported from the UK to Hong Kong has been used by the Hong Kong Police Force against peaceful protesters in Hong Kong.

Answered on

16 July 2020

Licensing decisions are based on the most up-to-date information and analysis available at the time and our export licensing system allows us to respond quickly to changing facts on the ground.

As the former Foreign Secretary stated during his remarks in the House of Commons on 25 June 2019, no further export licences will be granted for crowd control equipment to Hong Kong unless we are satisfied that concerns raised about human rights and fundamental freedoms have been thoroughly addressed. There are no extant licences for crowd control equipment.