Skip to main content

Housing: Construction

Question for Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

UIN 67553, tabled on 1 July 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what safeguarding measures are in place for potential home-buyers of new build properties to ensure that Building Control Regulation Completion Certificates have been issued prior to the sale of that property.

Answered on

9 July 2020

The Building Regulations 2010 set standards for the design and construction of building work. The building owner will have usually received a completion certificate (from local authority building control) or a final certificate (from an approved inspector) before the building is occupied. These certificates are issued when the work is complete by a local authority for the sale of a new build property. In some circumstances a building may be occupied before the building owner has received the completion certificate or the final certificate. Part 3, Regulation 17(4) of the Building Regulations 2010 states that: ‘A certificate given in accordance with this regulation shall be evidence (but not conclusive evidence) that the requirements specified in the certificate have been complied with’.

There is no statutory link between the Building Regulations and the conveyancing process. The prospective buyer and their professional advisers should satisfy themselves that they have all material facts relating to the property before they commit to buying.

Answered by

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government