Skip to main content

Driving and Health Services: Reciprocal Arrangements

Question for Cabinet Office

UIN HL5754, tabled on 16 June 2020

To ask Her Majesty's Government what progress has been made in negotiations with the EU or bilaterally with individual member states on continued mutual recognition of (1) drivers licences, (2) EHIC cards, and (3) disabled blue parking badges.

Answered on

29 June 2020

The recognition of both driving licenses and blue badges is a member state competence and the Government is seeking to secure both with EU members via bilateral agreements. Discussions are ongoing in both of these areas. UK motorists will still be able to drive in the EU with their UK Driving Licence but some EU countries may require an International Driving Permit, which is available now from the Post Office. The UK Government is currently negotiating with the EU on future reciprocal healthcare arrangements as part of the negotiating group on ‘mobility and social security coordination’.

Answered by

Cabinet Office