To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, how many and what proportion of total claimants in receipt of personal independence payment died between (a) March and May 2020, and (b) March and May 2019.
25 June 2020
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is claimed by people with a range of health conditions and disabilities, many of which are degenerative or life limiting and the Department treats the death of any claimant sympathetically. The cause of death of claimants to PIP is not collated centrally by the Department.
Table 1 below shows for each month from March 2019 – May 2019 and March 2020 – April 2020: (a) The number of PIP claimants with entitlement to PIP who died having had entitlement on the last day of each month.
(b) The total number of PIP claims with entitlement on the last day each month.
(c) The percentage of claimants entitled to PIP who died in each month which is calculated by dividing (a) the number of claimant deaths in each month by (b) the total number of PIP claims with entitlement in the same month.
Note that April 2020 is the latest month for which data is available.
Table 1: Summary of PIP claimants with entitlement who died from March 2019 – May 2019 and March 2020 – April 2020
(a) Number of PIP Claimant Deaths
(b) Total PIP Claims with entitlement
(c) Death rate of PIP claimants with entitlement
Source: PIP ADS and Customer Information System and Stat-Xplore
- This is unpublished data. It should be used with caution and it may be subject to future revision.
- PIP data includes normal rules and special rules for the terminally ill claimants, and is for both new claims and DLA reassessment claims.
- Data for the number of claimant deaths has been sourced from the PIP ADS and the Customer Information System and data for the number of total PIP claims with entitlement has been sourced from Stat-Xplore.
- Number of claimants has been rounded to the nearest 10 and the data for the death rate of claimants has been rounded to the nearest 0.01%.
- Claimants’ dates of death are as recorded on the system at 12th June 2020 and may be subject to retrospection.
- GB only
Under the Social Security (Notification of Deaths) Regulations 2012 and s125 of Social Security Administration Act 1992 date of death is provided to the Department for all registered deaths. Additionally, next of kin also provide information on the date of death of an individual and this information is used appropriately in the administration of Departmental benefits.