Skip to main content

Rented Housing: Anti-social Behaviour

Question for Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

UIN 58632, tabled on 11 June 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what powers local authorities have to tackle tenants who breach their tenancy agreement as a result of anti social behaviour.

Answered on

16 June 2020

Landlords have the power to seek the repossession of a tenant’s home for serious breaches of their tenancy agreement on the grounds of anti social behaviour.

Landlords may still serve a notice of intention of seeking possession during this period which must be for a minimum of 3 months. No court proceedings can be commenced until the 3 month notice period has expired.

Landlords may also, where appropriate, work with their local authority to use the powers available via the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 which offers a wide range of flexible non-possession approaches to tackling anti-social behaviour. The remedies include the use of injunctions, closure orders and community protection notices.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.