Skip to main content

Riot Control Weapons

Question for Home Office

UIN 56034, tabled on 8 June 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, in what circumstances (a) rubber bullets and (b) tear gas are authorised for use in the UK.

Answered on

26 August 2020

Rubber bullets and tear gas are not authorised for use by police forces in the United Kingdom.

Guidance on the use of equipment such as Attenuating Energy Projectiles and the use of irritant sprays is set out in the College of Policing Authorised Professional Practice here:

Answered by

Home Office
Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.