Skip to main content

Refugees: Children

Question for Home Office

UIN 3788, tabled on 15 January 2020

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps the Government is taking to ensure that any unaccompanied child refugee or asylum-seeker in another European country with an adult relative in the UK has been contacted in order to reunite them with their family member.

Answered on

29 June 2020

The UK maintains close operational links with EU Member States in order to transfer those children who are assessed to be eligible to transfer under the Dublin III Regulation.

It is the responsibility of the EU Member State where the unaccompanied child resides to identify those children who would be eligible for transfer to another Member State under the Dublin III Regulation. The Home Office does not have access to the personal details of all unaccompanied children present in other EU Member States.

The Home Office publishes annual data on the Dublin III Regulation in the Immigration Statistics. This includes data on the number of requests to transfer into and out of the UK and the number acceptances and transfers into and out of, broken down by article and Member State requesting. The latest data, covering up to 2019, can be found at:

Instructions on how to use the data can be found in the ‘Notes’ sheet.

Answered by

Home Office