Skip to main content

Syria: British Nationals Abroad

Question for Foreign and Commonwealth Office

UIN 1718, tabled on 17 October 2019

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what his Department’s timetable is for the evacuation of British children and their mothers from north east Syria.

Answered on

22 October 2019

The UK has no consular presence within Syria from which to provide assistance. We will take a case-by-case approach to any requests for consular assistance.

Our advice to any British national abroad who needs emergency help from the British Government is to contact the nearest British Embassy or Consulate, which in this case will be outside Syria. If a minor is unable to do so, a request can be made on their behalf. British nationals can also call the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The number is clearly advertised on FCO Syria Travel Advice pages.

Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.