Skip to main content

Road Traffic Offences: British Nationals Abroad

Question for Department for Transport

UIN 268632, tabled on 24 June 2019

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what support is available to UK nationals accused of (a) driving offences and (b) exceeding the speed limits when driving their UK-registered vehicles in (i) France, (ii) the European Union and (iii) the rest of the world.

Answered on

2 July 2019

All drivers should adhere to the local traffic laws, wherever they drive. EU countries are able to request vehicle keeper data from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to prosecute British citizens for certain traffic offences under the Cross Border Enforcement Directive.

There is information available to drivers about driving abroad on Organisations such as RAC and AA also provide information on their websites.