Skip to main content

Universal Credit: Private Rented Housing

Question for Department for Work and Pensions

UIN 256349, tabled on 20 May 2019

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what recent discussions she has had with the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government on issuing guidance to landlords who wish to rent to tenants who receive universal credit.

Answered on

28 May 2019

The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions has regular dialogue with other Secretary of States in the course of normal ministerial business, which includes discussion surrounding aspects of Universal Credit.

The Department maintains guidance on GOV.UK, relevant for private and social sector landlords, with information about Universal Credit. This helps landlords to understand what they can do to help their tenants prepare for: a) their move to Universal Credit and b) making payments of their housing costs (rent) direct to their landlord themselves. This can be accessed at:

The Government does not collect data on how many landlords are not able to rent to tenants who receive universal credit because of their landlord insurance policies.