Skip to main content

Free Movement of People: Arts and Musicians

Question for Home Office

UIN 251951, tabled on 8 May 2019

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps he is taking to ensure the maintenance of freedom of movement for touring (a) musicians and (a) artists; and if he will make an assessment of the potential merits of a two-year multi-entry visa for those people.

Answered on

13 May 2019

While the government is clear that free movement will end when we leave the EU, we are aware that continued access to international talent and the ability for UK talent to tour are key concerns for the cultural and creative sectors.

Non-EEA musicians and artists can currently enter the UK through a range of routes. Standard visitors can be paid for their participation at Permit Free Festivals for up to six months, Permitted Paid Engagement visitors can undertake various engagements for up to one month and the Tier 5 (Creative and Sporting) route permits artists, performers and their entourage to work in the UK. Tier 5 visas are granted for up to 12 months and can be extended for up to a maximum of 2 years in the UK.

The Home Office has launched a year-long engagement programme on the proposals in the White Paper on our future skills-based immigration system. The Home Office is working with DCMS and creative and cultural industries throughout this process so that Government approaches policy well informed by those working in the sector.

Answered by

Home Office
Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.