Skip to main content

Social Services: Pay

Question for Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy

UIN HL15230, tabled on 11 April 2019

To ask Her Majesty's Government what steps they are taking to check whether agencies employing careworkers are paying the costs of such workers for their travel between clients.

Answered on

29 April 2019

Time spent travelling from one client to another counts as time worked for minimum wage purposes, and the Government is clear that everyone entitled to the National Minimum and Living Wage (NMW) should receive it. Since 2015, the Government has almost doubled the budget for enforcing the NMW to £26.3 million, a record high.

Anyone who feels they are not receiving the NMW should contact the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas), who provide free, impartial information and advice on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law. Where appropriate, Acas can pass on complaints to HMRC for enforcement; HMRC follow up on all complaints received from workers about possible NMW underpayment.