Skip to main content

Seafood: Exports

Question for Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

UIN 242223, tabled on 8 April 2019

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what certification would be required for live seafood exporters based in Scotland exporting to the EU 27 in the event the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Answered on

15 April 2019

Delivering a deal with the EU remains our top priority, but as with any responsible Government, we are planning for all scenarios.

To continue exporting to the EU if the UK leaves without a deal, UK seafood exporters would need to provide a catch certificate and an export health certificate for most fish and fish products. We have published detailed guidance on the website and have held several events nationally to help the industry prepare to abide by these rules imposed by the EU. These events have included demonstrations of the IT systems which exporters would need to use, and the processes they would have to follow in the event of leaving the EU without a deal.

Fisheries management is a devolved matter. That will not change as a result of leaving the EU. The UK Government has worked closely with the Scottish Government, as well as the Welsh Government and DAERA, to ensure consistency and help prepare the sector as a whole.