Skip to main content

Independent Case Examiner

Question for Department for Work and Pensions

UIN 211078, tabled on 22 January 2019

Too ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if she will make it her policy to allow complainants to ask their Member of Parliament to refer their complaint to the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman if the Independent Case Examiner has not reached a substantive decision on their complaint within six months.

Answered on

28 January 2019

It is open to Members of Parliament to refer complaints to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman at any time they choose, regardless of whether the Independent Case Examiner’s process has been exhausted. The decision as to whether to accept them without an Independent Case Examiner’s investigation rests with the Ombudsman’s office.