Skip to main content

Immigration: EU Nationals

Question for Home Office

UIN 187007, tabled on 1 November 2018

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, whether (a) permanent residence and (b) settled status will be required to apply for citizenship after the UK leaves the EU.

Answered on

6 November 2018

One of the requirements for naturalisation as a British citizen is that the person is free of immigration time restrictions. This will not change. EU citizens and their family members can currently meet that requirement by having permanent residence under the EEA Regulations. They will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme, which will allow them to show that they meet this requirement after the UK leaves the EU.

Answered by

Home Office
Named day
Named day questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.